[Haskell-cafe] questions about core

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:53:21 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Robert Dockins <robdockins at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> At the risk of sounding self-promoting, I'd like to point out that
> the research paper I recently announced defines an intermediate
> language that is similar to GHC's core in some respects (they are
> both based on System F_omega).  I give a full (call-by-name)
> operational semantics and type system for the language in my report
> [1].  You won't find any proofs in the paper, but they're on my
> medium-term agenda.  There is also source code for an interpreter/
> bytecode-compiler/shell for this intermediate language [2].
>
> [1] http://www.cs.tufts.edu/tr/techreps/TR-2007-2
> [2] http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~rdocki01/masters.html

I was also neglectful in not mentioning this paper:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~chak/papers/SCPD07.html

System F with Type Equality Coercions
Martin Sulzmann, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty, Simon Peyton Jones, and
Kevin Donnelly. In G. Necula, editor, Proceedings of The Third ACM
SIGPLAN Workshop on Types in Language Design and Implementation, ACM
Press, 2007.

which describes System FC, which is the current incarnation of Core in GHC,
and in fact that paper *does* give an operational semantics for it.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's