[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell vs Ruby as a scripting language

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:43:46 EST 2007

Hi Simon,

> > Yhc can happily compile code and run it. You'll probably pay a factor
> > of 2-8 times slower than GHC, depending on what the code does.
>
> Benchmarks please!  Let's see some comparisons on the nofib suite.  If there's a
> factor of 2 or less between GHC -O2 and YHC for any of the nofib programs,  I'll
> eat my keyboard for lunch :-)

I remember having some benchmark where Yhc was only twice as slow as
GHC - possibly without -O2 (or even -O). Can't remember what, but I
was slightly surprised to see it.

I will try and get some Yhc vs GHC benchmarks at some point. We are
also working on an optimiser for Yhc, and a C backend, so does the
keyboard eating offer still encompass that version of Yhc? :)

Thanks

Neil