[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: nobench: Haskell implementaion benchmarks. GHC v Hugs v Yhc v NHC v ...

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Mon Feb 19 15:34:15 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 08:12:14PM +0000, Matthew Naylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > GHC v Hugs v Yhc v NHC v ...
>
>      ...        Hacle & Clean!
>
> I shoved 5 of the benchmarks that Donald used through Hacle, and
> compiled the outputs using version 2.1 of the Clean compiler.  Results
> are below.

Submit a patch, it's easy!  Took me <10 minutes to add YHC support
and send it in.  (the reason my name isn't in darcs changes is because
dons' X crashed, killing darcs, irreperably corrupting _darcs, so he
had to rm -r _darcs ; darcs init)

Just edit header.mk and footer.mk in the obvious way.

> As for the other examples, Hacle doesn't like non-Haskell98 and
> translates arbitrary-precision integers to fixed-precision ones (!)

Don't worry, nobench is based on a testsuite and as such is prepared to diff
output.  (if that doesn't happen, I'd consider it a bug)

> I'm not sure how well Hacle would work with nobench because input
> files must be unambiguously-typed assuming a "default ()" at the top.
> So some programs may require a little tweaking to go through.  Mind,
> this was only a problem on 1 of the 5 programs I just tried...

Well, he was willing to make concessions for Yhc brokenness (wrt importing
System.Environment - yhc's System doesn't export getArgs like the Report
says it should (first tangible result of nofib: the Yhc team has fixed it))

And don't worry about adding dependencies - you can remove compilers you don't
have by editing the COMPILERS = line in header.mk.

Stefan