[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell vs Ruby as a scripting language

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 05:20:38 EST 2007

Hi Simon

> Benchmarks please!  Let's see some comparisons on the nofib suite.  If there's a
> factor of 2 or less between GHC -O2 and YHC for any of the nofib programs,  I'll
> eat my keyboard for lunch :-)

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/nobench/bench.results

Test: pidigits (lazy, arbitrary precision integers)
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/nobench/imaginary/pidigits
ghc                  3.200    seconds            (1.0 x)
ghci                 3.500    seconds            (1.1 x)
ghc-old              3.600    seconds            (1.1 x)
yhc                  5.740    seconds            (1.8 x)

Would you like ketchup with that? ;)

Thanks

Neil