[Haskell-cafe] Re: problems installing ghc 6.6 with extralibs (bad interface file)

Seth Gordon sethg at ropine.com
Tue Feb 27 20:27:35 EST 2007

Thomas Hartman wrote:
> Thanks. I incorporated these changes, and it cranks longer now before
> failing. But still fails, now with a seg fault.
> *************
> gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program cc1)
> Please submit a full bug report.
> See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.
> For Debian GNU/Linux specific bug reporting instructions, see
> <URL:file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.0/README.Bugs>.

According to conventional wisdom, when gcc segfaults on a big
compilation job (e.g., the Linux kernel), it could be a sign of a
transient memory error; gcc exercises the RAM so much that the error
rate on a typical computer's memory chips can have a practical effect.

You can either buy more expensive RAM or run the build again and hope
for better luck.