[Haskell-cafe] numeric minimization in Haskell

Chad Scherrer chad.scherrer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 13:58:30 EST 2007

Does anyone know of any Haskell code for numeric minimization? I was
thinking conjugate gradient would be good, but at this point I'd be
happy with anything.

I've found some code written by Tomasz Cholewo at
http://ci.uofl.edu/tom/software/Haskell/
but it requires importing his "Arr.lhs" library, which is not publicly
available.

The only other thing I've been able to dig up is this
www.st.cs.ru.nl/papers/1997/serp97-cgfunctional.ps.gz
which suggests Haskell is slow for such problems. I suspect this was
an implementation issue, so I don't think their code would be very
helpful (though it would be nice to tidy it up and demonstrate the
improvement - could it beat the Clean implementation they give?)

The other possibility I was considering was using Alberto Ruiz's
wrapper for the GSL library
http://dis.um.es/~alberto/GSLHaskell/
The only problems with this are (1) requires having GSL available, so
it's not as portable, and (2) does everything in terms of lists, which
requires a lot of translations to and from lists (I'm using mutable
arrays).

If there's nothing already written that works together, one of these
should give me a start, but I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel if
possible.

Thanks!

--

Chad Scherrer

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana" -- Groucho Marx