[Haskell-cafe] trouble installing ghc 6.6: xargs: /usr/bin/ar: terminated by signal 11

tphyahoo tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 18:30:56 EST 2007

I'm having trouble installing ghc 6.6. On ubuntu, virtual server (user mode
linux).

Something seems to be killing the process, no idea why.

Anyone seen this?

I looked around with ps to see if anything looked suspicious. I do have a
lot of screens open, but I don't see why that should matter. There is no
instance of haskell or gnci running.

after running configure with no problem.....

~$ cd ghc-6.6/
~/ghc-6.6$ sudo make &>makeOut
Password:
~/ghc-6.6$ tail -n8 makeOut
(echo Control/Concurrent_stub.o System/CPUTime_hsc.o System/Time_hsc.o ;
/usr/bin/find Control/Applicative_split Control/Arrow_split
Control/Concurrent_split Control/Concurrent/Chan_split
...long mess...
Text/PrettyPrint/HughesPJ_split Text/Printf_split Text/Read_split
Text/Read/Lex_split Text/Show_split Text/Show/Functions_split -name '*.o'
-print) | xargs /usr/bin/ar q libHSbase.a
/usr/bin/ar: creating libHSbase.a
xargs: /usr/bin/ar: terminated by signal 11
make[2]: *** [libHSbase.a] Error 125
make[2]: *** Deleting file `libHSbase.a'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/thartman/ghc-6.6/libraries'
make: *** [stage1] Error 2
~/ghc-6.6$