[Haskell-cafe] Problems using Storable.poke* from separate OS thread.

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 11:50:00 EST 2007

On 1/21/07, Lemmih <lemmih at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have a smaller test case? I couldn't reproduce the error after
> I pulled out the MacOS stuff.

No, I don't have a smaller test case yet. I'm trying to reproduce the same
environment as the CoreAudio IO proc using a real-time scheduled pthread.
Which is what I understand CoreAudio is doing. I'm starting to think the
problem could be:
- Interference with the alarm signal haskell uses to schedule. There is a
bug filed in GHC's trac system, so I presume it's still true, but I haven't
located the code in GHC that sets this up.
- The haskell code is too slow. If a coreaudio IO proc takes too long the
system will still call the callback but essentially silence all output.
Which is what is consistent with what I observed, but doesn't explain why
code after the poke* call is not occuring.

--
-Corey O'Connor