[Haskell-cafe] Strings in Haskell

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 20:56:44 EST 2007

Hi Alexy,

> Now I'm reading a
> Haskell book which states the same.  Is there a more efficient Haskell
> string-handling method?  Which functional language is the most
> suitable for text processing?

There are the Data.ByteString things, which are great, and have much
less overhead.

But remember that Haskell is lazy. If you are thinking "well I have to
process a 50Mb file", remember that Haskell will lazily read and
process this file, which substantially reduces the memory requirements
so only a small portion will ever be in memory at a time.

Thanks

Neil