[Haskell-cafe] Announce: hpaste

Eric Mertens emertens at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 03:57:47 EST 2007

Hello,

I am pleased to announce "hpaste", the Haskell Paste-bin.  Over the
course of this week many of the active #haskell members and I have
been developing this application to provide #haskell with a reliable
paste bot whose features are tuned to the needs of the channel.

Everyone is invited to see hpaste for themselves at
http://hpaste.ath.cx:8000   hpaste.org has been registered, and in a
few days time will be the permanent home of hpaste. An example of how
hpaste was recently used to teach can be seen at
http://hpaste.ath.cx:8000/43

A paste-bin is a place for IRC users to paste and annotate code
snippets in a stable environment. This keep users from flooding the
channel and saves users from having to scroll back constantly to
review a paste.  hpaste uses haskell syntax coloring (provided by
hscolour) and is able to generate a color-coded diff of two pastes to
give users an additional tool to share and teach.

This project was a wonderful way for me to learn both the old and new
HAppS APIs which have both proven to be quite powerful.

In addition to providing a web-interface, hpaste is able to announce
new pastes to the IRC channel via a bot based on Don Stewart's IRC bot
tutorial.

darcs has been instrumental in this colaborative effort, and the
hpaste source is available with:

darcs get --partial http://www.scannedinavian.com/~eric/hpaste

Feedback is both encouraged and welcomed!

--
Eric Mertens
emertens at gmail.com