[Haskell-cafe] Strings in Haskell

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 17:57:15 EST 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Tim Docker wrote:

> I'm not aware of any ongoing haskell work in finance,

I'm gearing up to do something but don't have anything to show yet.

> I'd be happy to learn of any more, however. I don't think there's any
> reasons right now why one ought to favour ocaml over haskell in
> this domain.

The reason OCaml was used for LexiFi was _not_ performance. I think
Jean-Marc Eber was just a big OCaml user and shared offices or was
close to the OCaml team at INRIA. The reason Jane St. is usign OCaml
is definitely performance. These guys are trying to shave
milliseconds of their processing time.

The reason I want to use Haskell where OCaml seems to be more
appropriate is because I'm stubborn and a sucker for punishment :-).
OCaml also doesn't hold a candle to Haskell in elegance. Think
let ... in ..., begin ... end or parens instead of the same, rules
for using 'and' in function clauses, etc. etc. etc. I like elegance
and hope that performance will catch up, specially with the great
strides made in binary IO and data-parallel Haskell.

	Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/