[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] [Fwd: Re: Computer Language Shootout]

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 04:14:09 EST 2007

simonmarhaskell:
> Forwarding on behalf of Andrzej Jaworski <himself at poczta.nom.pl>:

The degradation is due to two things:

    * several entries have been disqualified (some fairly, some unfairly)
       Fix: fix is to submit more

    * the shootout haskellers stopped submitting once it was clear we'd
      need bytestrings to do signifcantly better.

       Fix: bytestring is now on the shootout machine, so we can resume

I don't think there is any fundamental issue exposed, other than that we
stopped updating entries, while other languages decided they should try
harder.

If people want to contribute, improve (or write) ByteString based
versions for the slow running String programs, upload them to the wiki,
and to the shootout page,
    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Shootout

For things that have been disqualified, correct the errors, and
resubmit.

-- Don