[Haskell-cafe] proposal: HaBench, a Haskell Benchmark Suite

Kenneth Hoste kenneth.hoste at ugent.be
Fri Jan 26 07:30:24 EST 2007

Hello,

Following up and the threads on haskell and haskell-cafe, I'd like to
gather ideas, comments and suggestions for a standarized Haskell
Benchmark Suite.

The idea is to gather a bunch of programs written in Haskell, and
which are representative for the Haskell community (i.e. apps,
libraries, ...). Following the example of SPEC (besides the fact that
the SPEC benchmarks aren't available for free), we would like to
build a database containing performance measurements for the various
benchmarks in the suite. Users should be able to submit their
results. This will hopefully stimulate people to take performance
into account when writing a Haskell program/library, and will also
serve as a valuable tool for further optimizing both applications
written in Haskell and the various Haskell compilers out there (GHC,
jhc, nhc, ...).

This thread is meant to gather peoples thought on this subject.
Which programs should we consider for the first version of the
Haskell benchmark suite?
How should we standarize them, and make them produce reliable
performance measurement?
Should we only use hardware performance counters, or also do more
thorough analysis such as data locality studies, ...
Are there any papers available on this subject (I know about the
paper which is being written as we speak ICFP, which uses PAPI as a
tool).

I have created a HaskellWiki page (http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/
HaBench) in order to centralize ideas and suggestions. Feel free to
add anything, and if you're willing to contribute to this project (in
any way), add your name to the wiki for future reference.

greetings,

Kenneth (a.k.a. boegel)

--

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but
what they conceal is vital (Aaron Levenstein)

Kenneth Hoste
ELIS - Ghent University
kenneth.hoste at elis.ugent.be
http://www.elis.ugent.be/~kehoste