[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: binary: high performance, pure binary serialisation

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sun Jan 28 16:36:49 EST 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Neil Davies wrote:

> existing ecoding system - both the BER (Basic Encoding Rules) and the
> PER (Packed Encoding Rules). If you are looking to target a well
> supported standard - this would be the one.

I'd say that ASN.1 encoding rules are badly, but widely supported. A
surprisingly large number of security problems have been caused by ASN.1
code, and similar bugs have turned up in independent implementations so it
isn't just one widespread shoddy implementation. OTOH ASN.1 is used by
TLS, LDAP, Kerberos, SNMP, S/MIME, H.323, etc. etc.

Tony.
IRISH SEA: NORTHWEST 3 OR 4, OCCASIONALLY 5 AT FIRST. SLIGHT OR MODERATE.
SHOWERS. GOOD.