[Haskell-cafe] Is Excel the most used -- and fucntional -- programming lanuage on Earth?

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:59:03 EST 2007

On 1/30/07, Lennart Augustsson <lennart at augustsson.net> wrote:
> Excel is what I like to call a 0:th order functional language,
> i.e., you can't even define functions, just values.  :)

Every cell with an expression in Excel is a function. The problem is
that the domains and codomains of these functions don't usually
contain functions. Maybe that makes it a first order functional
language.

But...suppose we had a spreadsheet a little like Haskell where each
cell has a static type, and the values can be Haskell functions. What
interesting things could we do with it that we couldn't do with Excel?
--
Dan