[Haskell-cafe] Re: proposal: HaBench, a Haskell Benchmark Suite

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 18:58:20 EST 2007

Hello David,

> I agree that numerics and Doubles are very important, but am of the opinion
> that we'll be better off if we (try to?) restrict ourselves to code that is
> really used by someone who really cares about performance enough to
> optimize it.

he should write an imperative code and in last Feb we've discussed why
GHC don't generate good code for low-level imperative Haskell
programs. you can see this discussion in GHC maillist. the problem is
well known since GHC birth and GHC HQ plan to fix it by writing their
own low-level optimizer. of course, it's hard to approach gcc, but
results close to Ocaml may be accomplished; the only problem is lack of
spare developer's hands :)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com