[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Cookbook?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 04:23:03 EST 2007

On 31/01/07, Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be nice -- in case it doesn't exist already -- a[n
> O'Reilly[-like]] Haskell Cookbook?  That would be the best way to
> learn Haskell.  I've found a wikibook on Haskell, but I look for a big
> bag of small, self-contained programs.  Perhaps you esteemed veterans
> can dig your small scripts and paste them into a wiki?

*Absolutely* !!!

I'm far from a veteran, but I had intended, when I got some free time,
to knock up a "Cookbook" section on the wiki. I don't see any reason
why a newcomer like me shouldn't do this - in many ways, it's better
to start with some examples from a newcomer's perspective ("these are
the sort of things I found useful") to show the more experienced
people what we're looking for.

So if you have spare time, I'd say you should feel free to do this
yourself. I'd happily contribute. Otherwise, if you wait, I'll get
round to starting it - but be prepared for quite a long wait, as spare
time is in extremely short supply for me just now :-)

> Examples needed -- how to connect to a database; to a web service
> (e.g. Amazon); read a csv file; represent data equivalent to a
> directory listing; a text file/XML; etc...

These all sound good. I was planning on knocking up a "how to get the
results of a query from an Oracle database using Takusen" entry as my
starting point, because that's an example I encountered recently (and
I got a lot of help from the list, so I'd like to give something
back).

All I need now is a spare evening...

Paul.