[Haskell-cafe] Re: Channel9 Interview: Software Composability and theFu ture of Languages

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Wed Jan 31 09:00:14 EST 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 14:05:10 +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>Hello Magnus,
>
>Wednesday, January 31, 2007, 11:45:53 AM, you wrote:
>
>> in math classes in grade school.  I doubt that we'll ever see functional
>> thinking tought alongside imperative thinking in lower grades in school.
>
>c=a*b
>e=c+d
>f=e*2
>
>are you learned to write things in this way? in *my* school, we have
>studied
>
>f=(a*b+d)*2
>
>way :)

Hmm, are you saying that you learnt to do algebra _before_ using plain
numbers?

All I'm trying to get across is that there's probably a good reason why
we tech kids that to calculate

 (4*3+2)*2

you first calculate 4*3, then add 2, then multiply the lot by 2.  Each
step would be written to paper until the kid learns to do calculations
like this "in RAM".

I'm suspecting this manner of teaching has foundation in pedagogy.

/M

magnus at therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning at gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus