[Haskell-cafe] Think of a monad...

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 14:08:02 EST 2007

Dear Haskellers,

In the recent HWN, I noticed a new monad metaphor by Don Stewart:
  Think of a monad as a spacesuite full of nuclear waste in the ocean next to a
  container of apples. now, you can't put oranges in the space suite or the
  nucelar waste falls in the ocean, *but* the apples are carried around
  anyway, and you just take what you need

This metaphor very clearly captures the essence of monads.  Perhaps it
will be even more helpful if accompanied by a small illustration:
  http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2007/01/think-of-monad.html

I hope this turns out to be useful to somebody,

--
Eric Kow                     http://www.loria.fr/~kow
PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9         Merci de corriger mon français.