[Haskell-cafe] sha1 implementation thats "only" 12 times slower then C

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 12:43:51 EDT 2007

Just an outsider's reaction, and for all I know unsafeRead is actually safe,
but.... if the point of using Haskell (and I'm still trying to discover what
that is ;-) ) is either to be able to rigorously mathematically prove that
your program will work perfectly (target usage 1), or to carry out threading
easily and automatically (what I'm interested specifically in), ... then why
do we have to throw unsafe functions around the place to get any decent
speed???

Ok, I'll go back to my hole; just a reaction.  I know everything has to
start somewhere, and build up, just be aware that having to use unsafe stuff
to get decent speed is not good PR ;-)