[Haskell-cafe] Callback functions?

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Mon Jul 2 20:49:48 EDT 2007

Hugh Perkins wrote:
>  > What makes a callback different from any other kind of function?
>
> Well... what about inside monads?  Does this break purity???  Does this
> require adding IO to the monad if the callback function does IO?
>
> As I'm writing this I kindof have this sense inside me that this is a
> really newbie-ish question.  That the answer is no it doesnt break
> purity, yes it does require adding IO to the monad, but I'm asking
> anyway just to check :-)

The question exists only because of a cultural difference.

Let f, g be functions (actions, procedures, methods, subroutines...)
such that "f(g)" is legal and means f may invoke g.

Mainstream programmers say g is a callback function, f is a function
that accepts a callback function.

Functional programmers say f is a higher-order function, g is a function.

Its use is pervasive in functional programming and especially Haskell.
Already in the second or third lesson, one meets

     map h [1,2,3]
     foldl (+) 0 [1,2,3]

where map calls h, and foldl calls (+). It does not matter that all of
them are pure functions, since, in mainstream programming, g is still a
callback function whether pure or side-effecting, cf. qsort and bsearch
in C.

Some callback functions are intended to be side-effecting. To do IO
actions and handle exceptions, we write like

     catch my_action my_handler

catch calls my_action; if an exception is raised, catch furthermore
calls my_handler. Thus my_action and my_handler are callbacks, and catch
is a higher-order function. This is remarkably different culturally from
mainstream programming: In mainstream programming, exception handling is
a special syntax, not a library function taking handlers as callbacks
(let alone the major action); in Haskell programming, exception handling
is just another higher-order function, not a special syntax.

It doesn't stop there. Whenever you write

     do a <- m
        n a

which is desugared to

     m >>= \a -> n a

the >>= is a function that calls m, then uses its return value to call
(\a -> n a). Thus m and (\a -> n a) are callbacks, and >>= is a
higher-order function. Sequential execution, the daily bread of every
imperative programmer, is yet another library function (this time even
possibly user-defined function) rather than special syntax in Haskell.

Therefore you have most likely used callbacks alot in Haskell without
thinking about it.