[Haskell-cafe] Write a library today! Was: Binary serialization, was Re: Abstraction leakAKa

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Thu Jul 5 04:01:59 EDT 2007

drtomc:
> I was explaining Haskell to a perl/python hacking friend recently and
> characterized things thus:
>
> Perl is a horrible language with fantastic libraries.
> Haskell is a fantastic language with horrible libraries.
>
> Actually, many of the libraries that exist for Haskell *are*
> fantastic, it's just that Haskell lacks the *coverage* that Perl or
> Python have.

Yes, and we know exactly what to do about this. hackage.haskell.org is
growing by a few packages a week -- and anyone who binds to any C lib
should just upload their stuff.

So ... if you're reading this message -- please upload a library today,
and more than just a few of us might have nice Haskell jobs tomorrow!

-- Don

P.S.  Maybe we should run 'bindathons' or have CPAN-style contests to
get new libraries written? If you're bored, write a binding to some C
lib, that python, ruby or perl have already got a binding to.  Do it!