[Haskell-cafe] Profiling and Threading: never the twain shall meet

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:38:21 EDT 2007

Hi Haskellers,

It seems that profiling and threading are not supported at the same
time in GHC6.6. At least, it objects to using both the flags at the
same time, and there's a Trac entry for that issue.

So I just wanted to be sure that I really need threading. I'm passing
text through some filters written in perl, just ordinary command line
programs. I do it like this:

> do
>   (hin, hout, herr, ph) <- runInteractiveProcess cmd args Nothing Nothing
>   forkIO $ hPutStr hin content >> hClose hin
>   out <- hGetContents hout
>   return (ph, out)

which seems to require threading. If I compile without, it will hang
indefinitely, I presume deadlocked. Is there a way this can be done
without threading?

But it's not a great issue for me if I can't do profiling in this
case. I just wanted to try out the feature, and it seemed worthwhile
checking I was doing this right.

Cheers,

Dougal.