[Haskell-cafe] Sparse documentation

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Jul 5 17:34:59 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 07:26:48PM +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> >Writing documentation for libraries is one way in which ordinary
> >Haskell users can really contribute to the Haskell community. It’s not
> >hard to do (grab the Darcs repo, type away), and it’s widely appreciated.
>
> How exactly do I get started?
>
> (Obviously I can't write the documentation for the monad transformers -
> I don't know how they work yet! But I could have a go at splicing all
> the Parsec goodness into the Haddoc pages...)

Get the latest source:

    darcs get http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/parsec
    cd parsec

Build the Cabal Setup program and configure the package:

    ghc --make Setup
    ./Setup configure

Then actually update the documentation, in Text/ParserCombinators/...

Now run haddock:

    ./Setup haddock

and check that it looks reasonable. Open dist/doc/html/index.html in
your web browser and follow the relevant links.

It's probably also a good idea to check you haven't broken the code by
accident, i.e. test that it still builds:

    ./Setup build

If you are happy then record and send the patch:

    darcs record
    darcs send

If you think that the patch might be at all contentious then you should
follow the library submissions procedure instead of the last step:

    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions

but for just adding brief haddock docs that's probably overkill.

Thanks
Ian