[Haskell-cafe] A very nontrivial parser

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Jul 8 08:31:32 EDT 2007

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2007, at 8:12 , Andrew Coppin wrote:
>
>> Aye, you drive a car without knowing how it works - but it was put
>> together by some people who *do* know these things. Would you drive a
>> car you built yourself? ;-)
>
> No :) --- but depending on what you're doing, you can use rank-2 types
> without knowing what's under the hood.  In fact, I'd say the fact that
> you're using them is evidence of that.
>
> (Aside --- looking at your problem description, I wonder if GADTs
> would be a better fit.)

Oh, I don't mind not knowing how rank-2 types are *implemented*. ;-) But
it would be nice to know what they *are*... :-S

(Thus far, they just seem to be some incomprehensible syntax that makes
the compiler stop complaining. In particular, I have no idea what the
difference between rank-2, rank-N and existentially quantified is...)