[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:37:40 EDT 2007

Hello Andrew,

Sunday, July 8, 2007, 9:40:15 PM, you wrote:

> I've asked this before and nobody answered, so I take it that nobody
> knows the answer... Does GHC *ever* do an in-place update on anything?

no. this will break GC's heart :)  and it really breaks it as far as
you start to work with updateable arrays. look for details at
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Modern_array_libraries

> Does the STG even have a command for that?

hm. there are ghc primitives that work with mutable arrays. look for
primops.txt.pp in ghc sources. btw, you doesn't need to use unix in
order to play with ghc HEAD - you can download compiled windows binary

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com