[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: HCL v1.0 -High-level library for building command line interfaces

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 13:11:38 EDT 2007

Hi

> > Your Cabal file should be in Unix format, i.e. without \r\n's in it,
> > just \n's.
>
> I'm surprised that our resident Windows hacker would advocate this,
> instead of a more tolerant approach to line ending conventions :-)

Line endings should be one character long, they always should have
been. Windows internally opens all files with \r\n and then maps them
to \n when you read them! How silly! I've been bitten with binary vs
text time and time again, CVS, writeFile, readFile, everything just
breaks based on weird assumptions. I write all my code with \n, and
using TextPad, I can open any text file with any line ending and have
it appear correctly.

I have also emailed the Cabal people and requested that they don't
choke on \r's, but in general, \r\n should be killed.

Thanks

Neil