[Haskell-cafe] Looking for final year project - using Haskell, or another functional language

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:45:57 EDT 2007

rpc layer, like .Net Remoting or ICE (but preferably without needing
configuration/interface files)

Course, if you know what you're doing, that's more like 1 week than one
year, but you could do that and then see where it takes you.

If you want something really challenging, rewrite OSMP (
http://metaverse.sf.net) in Haskell, and get it better than
http://secondlife.com

If you want a commercial idea, try convincing http://lindenlab.com to let
you implement Haskell as a scripting language within SecondLife.

If you're interested in designing human-computer interfaces, make a version
of Haskell that is easy to use: eg do something so that the "nasty bits" are
hidden.  Why can you write a function both in lambda notation and in the
non-lambda notation?  Make it so that there is only one way to write a
function.  That means less stuff to learn!  Get rid of all the nastiness
with using Transformer monads etc: make it so we can just provide a couple
of monads as our environment, and not have to think about the underlying
maths.

Implement the entire opengl 1.3 interface specifications in Haskell.

Make Glade work in Haskell as easily as it works in mono.

Create a topcoder-like algorithm competition.  Convince at least 100 people
to participate each week.  Find a sponsor to provide a 16-core server. Let
people write their algorithms in both threaded C# and threaded Haskell.
Create algorithm problems that consistently bring out the best in Haskell,
so that the  Haskell competitors win.

Work with Simon Peyton Jones to implement automatic threading in ghc.