[Haskell-cafe] function unique

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:52:38 EDT 2007

The problem with your second implementation is that elements which occur
more than once will eventually be included, when the part of the list
remaining only has one copy. For example:

unique2 [1,1,2,4,1]
= unique2 [1,2,4,1]
= unique2 [2,4,1]
= 2 : unique2 [4,1]
= 2 : 4 : unique2 [1]
= 2 : 4 : 1 : unique2 []   -- only a single 1 left, so it gets mistakenly
included
= [2,4,1]

When you determine that a certain number should not be included in the
output, you need to delete all remaining occurrences of it from the list, so
it won't get included later.

unique2 (x:xs)
        |elemNum2 x xs == 1 = x:unique2 xs
        |otherwise = unique2 (deleteElt x xs)

I'll let you figure out how to implement the deleteElt function.

hope this is helpful!
-Brent