[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 05:41:37 EDT 2007

On 13/07/07, Jim Burton <jim at sdf-eu.org> wrote:

> As well as being nice, can't you sometimes tell people to RTFM? Or,
> You've asked that before, or That's an FAQ, search the archive?

I suppose you could, but speaking as someone who doesn't know much but
tries to answer questions when he does know - I would feel put off
from answering questions in that case. If the "easy questions" become
second-class citizens, I would be less likely to answer them. I don't
want to give the impression that *I* am encouraging the degeneration
of the list.

So I would vote for only saying read the manual/FAQ/etc after the
question has been answered. (That being said, I can never find what
I'm looking for on the Haskell wiki; and as mentioned in other threads
Google doesn't index it. So finding the relevant answers can be
tricky.)

Cheers,

Dougal