[Haskell-cafe] Haskell & monads for newbies (was "Functional dependencies *not* part of the next Haskell standard?")

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 06:42:20 EDT 2007

Hello peterv,

> Haskell or typically N times shorter than their imp/OO counterparts, it
> would take *me* at least N^2 longer to write them ;) (now I must admit I had
> the same feeling when switching from 680x0 assembler to C++, but let's say
> N*2 longer instread of N^2...) Is this true for Haskell in general?

there is well-known observation that programmer productivity,
measured in lines of code, doesn't depend on the language ;)

the difference between my coding styles in C and Haskell (both fluent,
unlike English ;) is that after i've understood algorithm i want to
implement, i write it immediately in Haskell, and write a tons of
boilerplate code in C

Haskell allows to easily write much more complex algorithms and this
may trick you - you tend to implement more complex algorithms in
Haskell and this, naturally, leads to the fact that you think much
more while programming in Haskell. try to implement algorithm of the
same complexity in C and Haskell and compare processes

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com