[Haskell-cafe] RE: Maintaining the community

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Fri Jul 13 07:21:11 EDT 2007

Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> [...]
> We need at least one forum in which it's acceptable to ask anything, no
> matter how naive, and get polite replies.  (RTFM isn't polite; but "The
> answer is supposed to be documented here (\url); let us know if that
> doesn't answer your qn" is fine.)   I'd be sorry to lose that.

I fully agree and I don't mean RTFM literally. "The answer is supposed to be
documented here (\url)..." is a very acceptable form of it...one can be
brisk without being rude and I'm always grateful when someone points me in
the direction of the right "manual" - if it's currently beyond my ken and I
need to read something else first then that's my problem. I'm not going to
waste your time by expecting you to read it for me and give quick answers to
deep questions.