[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 13 11:32:05 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 02:30:49AM -0700, Jim Burton wrote:
> Very timely! It's sad that haskell-cafe has so much noise now. I haven't
> been around very long at all but it has gone downhill dramatically even in
> the last 6 months

just look for the date of my first post...

to improve the list, might i suggest

- push chatter to IRC

- take this service off of email entirely. try a web forum system (you
  may have to slum it and use php). i don't recommend nntp, that just
  forces us to use gmane since very few isps provide nntp now. a web
  forum would allow you to segment interest sections while retaining a
  global search etc. if you use code like slash, you can just moderate
  noise makers off the page. you can set up a yahoo group in ten minutes.

- just get used to noise if indeed you want haskell to grow in
  popularity. use digest-mode, read on gmane, or use client email
  filters to remove individual noise generators

- please don't split the lists, people will still just email cafe
  anyway, and it causes tension when a moderator-type continually asks
  them to take the issue to haskell-*

- in the worst case, get volunteer moderators to filter submissions to
  the list. this will reduce traffic dramatically but also remove the
  immediacy of direct email. a web forum would probably be easier.