[Haskell-cafe] [Math] Category theory research programs?

Dipankar Ray dipankar at jfet.net
Fri Jul 13 12:45:01 EDT 2007

are you applying to computer science programs or math programs?

for category theory, you might look at where the Ken Shans of the world
went to grad school.

for diff geo, there are a host of great places. and I don't know exactly
what you mean by diff geo. You could be into gauge theory, in which case
places like Imperial College, Cambridge, Oxford, Columbia, Duke, MIT come
to mind (advisors like Donaldson, Hamilton, Morgan, Bryant, dozens I'm
neglecting to mention). The other standard top US schools (Harvard,
Princeton, Stanford, Berkeley, Chicago, Michigan) are all pretty strong in
both algebra and geometry, of course (Yau, Givental, Eliashberg, etc, are
at these schools). Other places like UT Austin, Northwestern, UIUC, UCLA,
and even UW (University of Washington) come to mind. In Canada, UBC.

Also, you may find that your interests are closer to (say) algebraic
geometry, which is intimately connected to the kind of diff geo that's
done in relation to physics these days. In which case you might want to
consider Chicago and Northwestern strongly, as these schools have amazing
alg geo groups these days. Of course Harvard is the historical leader here
(some have left, but Mumford, Mazur, Yau, Griffiths, Harris, Siu, Richard
Taylor, etc), and Princeton is also incredibly strong.

Pretty much any of these schools will give you a plenty strong background
in category theory to understand it for haskell, I'd say (perhaps this is
overstatement, but (for example) algebraic geometers tend to become quite
expert at category theory).