[Haskell-cafe] Type system madness

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 16:22:53 EDT 2007

Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> Don does not speak for the whole community, I for one am fine with
> answering all these questions :)

I guess when somebody as important as Don says something, you take notice...

> Specifically, Don really wants you to get off of the mailing list and
> ask all these questions on IRC; he's been trying to hint this to you for
> a while.  My extreme social cluelessness allows me to explain it to your
> face.  (not that I agree with him; IRC is not well suited to things
> requiring long explanations like "what is a quantifier")

True. And IRC also has the limitation that you only access the people
who are logged in right *now*...

On the other hand, IRC has the advantage that if somebody goes into a
long explanation and you didn't really understand step #2 there, you can
ask them to stop and go back to that part without having them write a
huge explanation that you won't understand anyway... so they both have
advantages. (And then there was that time I tried to use a release of
Gtk2hs which, unknown to me, was brand new and had a small installer
glitch in it... Mr Coutts was most helpful on that one.) And let's not
forget Lambdabot... LOL!

>> (Everybody in the main forum I inhabit has now taken to auto-deleting any
>> post that mentions the word "Haskell". Except for Mr C++, who seems to seek
>> out such threads so he can tell me how superior C++ is to Haskell...)
>>

> Try not to care what other people think.

LOL! If only that were in fact physically possible...

Is it OK to quote xkcd in responce to this one?

http://www.xkcd.com/c154.html

;-)