[Haskell-cafe] List of authors happy to have work moved to theHaskell wiki

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sat Jul 14 18:07:43 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jul 14, 2007 at 05:26:27PM +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:

> (if you post material
> you may later want to use in your book, or interim results from your
> research projects; remember, anything on the wiki is free for all, so
> anyone could "republish" it if it ends up there..)?

(sorry if you already know this, just want to clarify. All AIUI, IANAL,
etc)

If you publish something under licence A, you still remain the copyright
holder, and can later also publish it under licence B. You can also
publish it combined with other material under licence B.

For example, if you were to write a couple of pages on type systems to
the haskell-cafe list, publish it under the "Simple Permissive License",
you could still publish a book on Haskell, including your text on type
systems, under a more traditional proprietary licence. People would
still be able to copy (etc) your type systems text, but would not be
able to copy (etc) the other material in your book.

The same is true even if you published the text under one of the
so-called viral licences (e.g. GPL).

> why should we have to think about licensing at all?

If you want code you write to be distributed by Debian, for example,
then you need to license it appropriately.

Thanks
Ian