[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 07:22:31 EDT 2007

On 7/15/07, Hugh Perkins <hughperkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/15/07, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "unsafe"' here just means direct array indexing. Same as the other
> > > languages. Haskell's 'unsafe' is a little more paranoid that other
> > > languages.
>

> Yes, I was kindof hoping it was something like that.  Cool :-)

Errr ... wait... when you say "direct array indexing", you mean that this
does or doesnt continue to do bounds checking on the array access?

I could imagine that it is "unsafe" simply because direct array indexing
prevents mathematically proving that the program wont crash (?), or it could
be unsafe in the C++ way, where going off the end of the array corrupts your
stack/heap?