[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sun Jul 15 13:22:39 EDT 2007

> This is a bit tangental, but... One problem I sometimes have is not
> knowing the status of things. E.g., you read about Associated Types, and
> then you go "hey, is this implemented now? is it being implemented soon?
> etc."
>
> (Don't all rush in and tell me about ATs - I'm only picking it as an
> example. Others include, say, the GHC debugger, stream fusion, parallel
> arrays, etc etc etc.)
>
> Maybe I'm looking wrong, but it often isn't obvious to me how to figure
> out the answer to the question "does all this cool stuff work yet?" I'm
> not really sure what we could change to fix that though...

the Haskell Community & Activity Reports were created in part
to answer that kind of question. within the limitations of 6-monthly
editions (too frequent for some projects, too infrequent for others),
they have tried to do ever since November 2001, the latest dating
from May 2007:

    http://www.haskell.org/communities/

since contributors are encouraged to look ahead in plans, as well
as look back on achievements, the interval of not knowing where
things stand is actually shorter than 6 months. provided that people
remember to write and submit entries about their favourite haskell
projects when the editor comes calling before November/May!-)

claus