[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re[4]: In-place modification

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Mon Jul 16 00:46:37 EDT 2007

Hugh Perkins <hughperkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> My ideal testing environment is something like http://topcoder.com , but
> topcoder doesnt support Haskell at this time (probably because it would lose
> all the time, so noone would use it)
>
> I'd quite like to see a version of topcoder for Haskell, but shootout is not
> it.

???

Topcoder certainly isn't about benchmarking.  Undoubtedly, it would be
absolutely awesome to be able to use Haskell in topcoder... but it
wouldn't say anything about speed.  My guess is that practically no
topcoder submissions fail by exceeding the allowable time limit.  The
competition (the alg one, which is the only one anyone really cares
about) is about solving problems quickly (in programmer time) and
accurately.

But wow, that would be great!  I suppose there's not much chance of
lobbying them for the change. :)

--
Chris Smith