[Haskell-cafe] Haskell & monads for newbies

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 16 09:26:07 EDT 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> andrewcoppin:
>
>> I saw a quote somewhere round here that went like this:
>>
>>  "Haskell isn't really suited to heavily I/O-oriented programs."
>>  "What, you mean like darcs?"
>>  "...oh yeah."
>>

> Great quote! :)

TY. :-)

Be even greater if I could remember who the heck said it... (It's
probably a #haskell quote from the Humour section on the Wiki, as a guess.)

Actually, thinking about it, if you wanted to demonstrate just how badly
Haskell sucks at I/O, we have:

- Darcs
- XMonad
- Lambdabot
- Frag
- Wasn't there a stand-alone HTTP server somewhere?
- GHC (provides make-like functionallity, and also invokes half a dozen
external programs to do its work)
- Any others?

Yep, I'd say that's pretty conclusive. ;-)