[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 18 17:04:29 EDT 2007

Bryan Burgers wrote:
> I heard that Fermat didn't even actually have a proof.

That's unsubstantiated conjecture! :-P

Oh, sure, it took over 300 years to arrive at the modern-day proof,
which runs to over 400 pages of cutting-edge mathematics spanning
multiple very modern disiplins, and is so dense that reputedly only 6
people in the world actually understand it... but... um... what was I
saying again?

> I haven't been paying attention to the subject, but I suppose I should
> pipe in now. I really enjoy Haskell. I'm probably like most people
> here in that I like learning new languages:

I was told that Lisp is "the language to end all languages". Personally,
I tried learning it, and concluded that it sucks.

I did learn PostScript in my lunchbreak at work one time because I was
bored though... And Tcl on another day... and I read "The Poiniant Guide
to Ruby" (which was just the most bizzare thing EVER!)

Haskell is a language that has lit up my world. All of the programs I
write are heavily math-based, and Haskell seems to be just *perfect* for
the job. (Aside from it being so hard to make it go any faster...) To
quote somebody else, "Haskell has given a joy to programming that I
didn't even know was missing!"

Anyway, enough raphsody for now. ;-)

I'm surprised at the Java comments... I always thought Java was a
language for throwing together Tic-Tac-Toe demos?