[Haskell-cafe] gui libs? no thanks, i'm just browsing.. ;-)

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Sat Jul 21 06:49:06 EDT 2007

>That is all true.  ABI compatibility would be nice. But I don't see how
>to combine with GHC's other goals.  Notably, we frequently add new
>information to interface files, and it would be a major constraint not to
>be able to do so.

that is the bit i never quite understood: if newer formats just add
information, that should be no problem. the problem, presumably,
comes when newer ghcs can no longer manage without that extra
information.

so, if ghc was truly upgraded (add things, improve things) instead
of modified (add some, take away some), then it should be able to
work with "old" compiled libs at least as well as its previous version
would have. just that it could do even better if it was allowed to
recompile the old lib itself..

what am i missing?
claus