[Haskell-cafe] Space usage and CSE in Haskell

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Jul 24 19:47:07 EDT 2007

 > But this simple modification allows us to use only O(sqrt(n)) space at
 > the point we print the nth prime:

I wouldn't call your modification simple. It appears that you are trying
to put smarts into the garbage collector and memoization logic, the
first step towards a priority queue of memoized results.

Suppose you had

data Nat = Zero | Succ Nat

firstNprimes :: Nat -> [Integer]
firstNprimes                Zero  = []
firstNprimes (       Succ $ Zero) = 2 : firstNprimes         Zero
firstNprimes (Succ . Succ $ Zero) = 3 : firstNprimes (Succ $ Zero)

The resulting sublists should be shared, so that each memoized partial
evaluation is just a head and a pointer, with space O(2*n).

Suppose further you could tell the garbage collector to discard the
highest Nat firstNprimes sublists first, forcing a recomputation
whenever needed again.

Then, assuming you use only the one (outer) primes function, your primes
function (which needs all the firstNprimes) has the lowest priority and
gets recalculated on memory exhaustion, but only back to the highest
known prime, which will eventually (and forever thereafter) be the
highest firstNprimes that fits in memory.

The code uses the most memory it can for efficiency, then continues on
maximally efficiently from there on the fly.

This is the sort of control you are getting on the cheap with your
non-trivial use of two primes functions. It is the kind of logic that
might be difficult to automate.

Dan Weston