[Haskell-cafe] newbie question on Parsers from "Programming In Haskell"

Juozas Gaigalas juozas at tuesdaystudios.com
Mon Jun 4 10:42:35 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am a somewhat experienced programmer and a complete Haskell newbie, so I
hope this is the correct ML for my question.

I have decided to learn Haskell and started with  Graham Hutton's book.
Everything was going nicely until section 8.4, on sequencing functional
parsers. I am trying to write an elementary parser that produces the 1st and
3d elements from a string. I am using the code from the book.

---------------------

type Parser a = String -> [(a, String)]

return :: a -> Parser a
return v = \inp -> [(v, inp)]

failure :: Parser a
failure = \inp -> []

item :: Parser Char
item = \inp -> case inp of
                  [] -> []
                  (x:xs) -> [(x, xs)]

parse :: Parser a -> String -> [(a, String)]
parse p inp = p inp

(>>=) :: Parser a -> (a -> Parser b) -> Parser b
p >>= f = \inp -> case parse p inp of
                  [] -> []
                  [(v, out)] -> parse (f v) out

p :: Parser (Char, Char)
p = do x <- item
       item
       y <- item
       return (x, y)  -- LINE 34
googled for an answer and had found nothing.

Juozas Gaigalas