[Haskell-cafe] Good article on why implementing a functional back end is really different

David Barton dlb at patriot.net
Thu Jun 7 11:09:10 EDT 2007

Gentlefolk:

Help.  I need support for a technical argument: why going to an intermediate
form for an existing functional back end like Haskell really, truly is
better for implementing a functional language than is going to an
intermediate form like the Java intermediate form and re-doing all the
various specialized mechanism needed to support a true lazy functional
language.  In other words, I need a pithy paper or book chapter that will
convince someone unfamiliar with functional languages that Functional Back
Ends Really Are Different --- no, Really Truly Different.  Something on the
order of Why Functional Programming Matters, but for the implementor of the
language, not the programmer.

Any pointers to a good article or book chapter that might help?  I keep
saying that this bookkeeping is a BIG task, but they keep saying they know
they can "handle" it.  Pithy comments?  Staff year estimates?  Horror
stories?

Thanks, anyone.

Dave Barton