[Haskell-cafe] Switch optimization

Tom Pledger tom at pledger.gen.nz
Sun Jun 10 21:39:52 EDT 2007

  :
  | > codeLen 127 = 0
  | > codeLen 128 = 1
  | > codeLen 255 = 8
  | >
  | > Now, compiling with ghc 6.6.1 and -O3, I see that it generates a long
  | > chain of conditional branches.
  :

That's deeply tied in with Num being a subclass of Eq, isn't it?
Pattern matching for /non-numeric/ data constructors should be more
direct, at any optimisation level, thanks to the taglessness of the
STG machine.

  | I'd suggest learning how to hack on GHC, I get a chain of branches even
  | at the maximum optimization setting.  Hackers are always appreciated!

Such a GHC hack may have to be limited to some known, standard numeric
types.  User-defined numeric types may not provide anything that you
can use to look up a jump table.

How would an array go, as a user-level optimisation?

Regards,
Tom