[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 06:03:15 EDT 2007

PeterV writes:
 > I'll try the emacs approach (or better Xemacs because Emacs on Windows has
 > really ugly font smoothing), but I must say that - being an old school
 > object-oriented programmer who got spoiled by fully integrated IDEs like
 > Borland's TurboPascal, Microsoft Visual Studio, and Eclipse - switching to
 > emacs or VIM is not an easy task :)

Switching to Emacs will never be an easy task (I think the quote is "A learning
curve you can use as a plumb line"), but once you have, I very much doubt you'll
ever want to go back to anything else. :) The Emacs tour [1] (newer beta version
also available [2]) give a quick flavour of why you might fall in love with
Emacs.

[1]: http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/
[2]: http://stuff.mit.edu/iap/emacs/emacs-guided-tour-1.html

By the way, ClearType support works fine in Emacs 22. I understand there is one
small rendering glitch related to font-lock (some columns of pixels are
truncated, see [3]), but it's most definitely usable.

[3]: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1254/emacscleartypebugdg9.png

-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com