[Haskell-cafe] IDE?

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Sat Jun 16 16:34:43 EDT 2007

That's just my point. Although I have no practical experience with Haskell (besides writing a simple L-System using HOpenGL), from what I've read Haskell is indeed much better than typical OO languages... So it *deserves* an easy entry level IDE that will get many many more people started with it. Like Concurrent Clean has, although their IDE is also far from perfect (e.g. they don't have multi-level undo, sigh)

Anyway, it seems many people use Emacs for their Haskell edit/compile/run cycle. I've used Emacs on IBM OS/2 a long time ago so I guess I can get back into it. But man, was I happy back then when I could switch over to Visual Studio... The productivity I nowadays have with Visual Studio 2005 and Resharper for doing compilation, code-documentation-tips, code-completion, refactoring, navigation, debugging, boiler plate code generation, is amazing. Some of my colleagues still use Emacs, and maybe they are not using it correctly, but at first sight their development is much much slower.

>From this cafe talk I now know such an IDE for Haskell does not exist. So I won't search any further for a great IDE before starting to do some real Haskell programming, because my L-Systems experiment was a lot of fun!

So I just installed XEmacs with the latest Haskell mode. I'll go from here... If that doesn't work, Notepad++ and GHCI/GHC in a command prompt also works, although it does make me feel I'm back in the eighties.

Thanks for all the help folks!