[Haskell-cafe] Xlib: problem creating a window with override_redirect set

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Jun 16 18:45:13 EDT 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 11:39:51PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 07:03:24PM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying, without success, to create a window with the attribute
> > override_redirect set to True (this way the window manager should not
> > take care of it). Obviously with Xlib (X11-1.2.2).
>

> just for the sake of documentation, this is the solution I've been able to
> find thans to the help of the guys of the xmonad comunity.

I was thinking about the quality of the documentation I have left
behind.

by the way, the bottom line is that I was trying to manipulate a
foreign structure (from the Xlib) getting it out of where it belongs
with this trick by the means of allocaSetWindowAttributes:

attributes <- allocaSetWindowAttributes (\s -> return $ s )

attributes resulted garbage but the compiler did not complain.

the right thing to do is to manipulate it from within the place where
it was possible for the two of you to meet:
window <- allocaSetWindowAttributes $
        \attributes -> do
and do what ever you want to do.

I don't know if now it is clearer than before, but hopefully that
could be that case for someone searching for xlib and
overright_redirect.
hopefully.
andrea