[Haskell-cafe] yi or not to yi was: IDE?

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 18 13:31:46 EDT 2007

Pasqualino 'Titto' Assini wrote:
> I think that we should not underestimate the transforming power of dogged
> determination.
>
> Think of Linux: only a terminal idiot could have conceived the plan of writing
> from scratch a clone of a 20 years old operating system (Unix) when everybody
> knew that momentum was on the side of the weaker solution (Microsoft) in the
> PC market and on the many existing commercial Unix versions in the
> professional market.
>
> Well, we all know what that stupid idea has led to. I certainly do, as I am
> writing this message under Linux.

That reminds me... Somebody should write an *OS* in Haskell! :-D

If that happened, then maybe at last I'd be able to have a choice other
than M$ Windows (with all it's well-documented faults), and Unix (with
its legendary unfriendliness and unecessary complexity).

OTOH... how the heck do you write an operating system in a language that
doesn't even support I/O? :-S